You may hear somewhere about pre-engineered building or have seen the phrase on posters along roads. When it comes to pre-engineered building, people often think about the type of mobile home that is so popular in the west for those who prefer to live in nomadic way. It also makes people think the design of pre-engineered building is rough, rigid and it’s not suitable for most Vietnamese people’s thinking and culture.
Actually, it’s a hybrid house that can be easily transported in a mass-produced from the removable components between pre-engineered steel frame and the container that are bonded together in modular form. But the design, structure, scale and level of installation can not be compared to pre-engineered building used in industry today. In industry, pre-engineered building are characterized by the type of assembled houses: convenient, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade, low cost,… Today, pre-engineered building occupies 70% of industrial construction allow to many experts in the world; in 2015 waves of investment in Viet Nam massively led to boom demand for pre-engineered building in industrial construction.
- What is Pre-engineered building?
- PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDING v.s TRADITIONAL STEEL BUILDING
- Classification of pre-engineered buildings used in industrial construction
- Structure of Pre-engineered building:
- Advantages of Pre-engineered building
- Application of Pre-engineered building
- Optimal costs depend on how you choose the type of pre-engineerd building
- Aesthetics and trends of Pre-engineered building
- Softwares support design and estimate Pre-engineered building
What is Pre-engineered building?
Pre-Engineered Buildings are a common type of industrial construction stems from the US about half the late 70s of the 20th century. Pre-engineered building is erected synchronous based on steel structures are designed, assembled and fabricated according to approved drawings in factory. After that, the components are transported to construction site to erect.
In terms of form, pre-engineered building or assembled building are formed similar to the puzzle for children . Sections (columns, braces, beams …) are made like the pieces in the game, then it is assembled into a pre-engineered steel building as a complete graft.
PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDING v.s TRADITIONAL STEEL BUILDING
|PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDING||TRADITIONAL STEEL BUILDING|
|Cost||Less than 30% per m2 compared to traditional steel building||Higher than 30% compared to pre-engineered building|
|Handover, acceptance||Handover and acceptance after signed contract in about 6 to 8 weeks||Handover and acceptance after signed contract in about 20 to 26 weeks|
|Maintenance||Due to the light and flexible structure , pre-engineered buildings are easy to maintain and maintenance costs are low . Pre-engineered building will not get trapped in dirt and other toxic substances , which is like self-cleaning. In fact, the building and frame structure almost has maintenance cost equal 0||Due to the weight and solidity of the structure, it will be difficult to maintain . The cost of upgrading is also much higher , especially on the outside of the house|
|Operating cost||Lower cost for lighting, heating and power consumption due to the insulation||Higher costs for lighting, heating and power consumption|
|Air conditioning capability||Covered by insulating material, the pre-engineered building will be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter||The traditional steel house absorbs heat very strongly , in hot weather conditions will create a very hot virtual boiler affecting the conditions and production activities|
|Scalability, upgrade||In the future, it can be expanded and upgraded in a simple and easy way at an optimal cost||It will be harder to expand in the future, and if you try to do so, the price will be much more expensive than the pre-engineered building|
|Safety and responsibility||Build and take responsibility only by a supplier including legal responsibilities in the design||Many stakeholders can lead to the question of who is responsible for the wrongdoing|
|Foundation||The design is simple, easy to install and relatively light||Requires heavy foundation, spacious premises|
|Accessories||Designed to fit into standardized and mutable components||Each project requires a specific design for accessories and resources|
Classification of pre-engineered buildings used in industrial construction
So far in Vietnam, pre-engineered buildings do not have a clear official classification due to its diverse needs and its versatility. But those who in the industry still have some general classification rules that we often see the following:
1. Sort by crane: with or without crane
2. Sort by roof: one sloping roof and two sloping roofs
3. Sort by span: one span and multiple spans or large span (with or without mid-columns) and small span (without mid-column)
There are many other types of classification, you can refer more details here:
Depending on the needs of your business, you have the appropriate choice to require supplier design and erect according to above criteria to meet manufacture needs and business of your enterprise.
Structure of Pre-engineered building:
1. Main structure
The structural system of the pre-engineered building includes foundation, beam, roof bearing, girder, windshield, braces, and columns, “I” beams for frames .
This structure is classified into:
- Vertical load-bearing structure: walls, doors, windows…
- Horizontal load-bearing structure: roof, horizontal door …
The main structure receives the load of the whole building and passes it to the ground:
- Dead load: the entire house and the equipment is fixed such as a crane or machines on the floor.
- Live load: such as people, transportation, products, wind pressure,…
Baffles, partition walls, working floor systems, stairs and purlins, “C” and “Z” purlins.
3. Cover structure and shaping:
It is erected by roof and wall sheets. This structure limits the space and protects the building and everything contained in the building from the effects of weather and the environment. In addition, this structure also helps the building add aesthetic.
This structure is classified into:
- Vertical cover structure: walls, doors, windows and vertical roof doors.
- Horizontal cover structure: roof, horizontal roof door.
– Design of architect drawing: presentation of design solutions, analysis and evaluation and consulting the best price options for the needs of the investor. Then, complete the design of architecture, structure, materials and express intent on the perspective, vertical, plan, section drawings.
– Design of fabrication drawing: Once the architect drawing is approved, the fabrication drawing will show detail and is coded clearly the structure on the drawing. Wrong expressions will lead to extremely serious mistakes affecting the quality of the works.
Engineers must read the detailed layout of each component and the installation order in the installation drawing to ensure the quality and safety of the works. This stage is carried out with the help of crane to bring the components up.
Main stages in the installation process:
- Survey, inspection, planning for the preparation, equipment, delivery and storage of materials at the site.
- Plan for monitoring, checking and urging.
- Install columns.
- Install beams.
- Install frames, purlins, rafters.
- Install roof panel.
- Install wall purlins, wall sheets, gutters, downspouts.
- Install doors and other accessories.
- Conduct quality inspection and evaluation.
Advantages of Pre-engineered building
- Light weight compared to reinforced concrete greatly reduces the load pressure.
- Saving more raw materials than the construction of other types of houses.
- The large pre-engineered building , which helps to operate in it throughout and united.
- High synchronization, easy to expand the scale when the business grow.
- The cost of this type of house is also much more economical than other types due to short time of construction, low cost of warranty, significant reduction of labor cost at site, simple materials without frills. Especially with less force-bearing areas, pre-engineered building show the better of these advantages.
- The durability of pre-engineered building can be from 70 years to 100 years .
- Fast, simple design, fabrication and erection in spite of weather conditions . Normally, it takes up to 6 months for a traditional house instead of 90 days for pre-engineered building. This is very economical when the works are put into use and exploited quickly.
Application of Pre-engineered building
Due to the above advantages of pre-engineered building, this type of house is widely applied in various types of works , from warehouse to workshop house with aperture of up to 100m without columns. With the length up to more than 100m, the pre-engineered building can be used right in the works that the type of reinforced concrete house can not meet with the cost is much better. Moreover, this is really the ideal house to use for building factorys , warehouses, exhibition centers and supermarkets . And pre-engineered buildings are also increasingly encroaching on civil areas that were not so popular before .
Gallery of typical application of pre-engineered building
Optimal costs depend on how you choose the type of pre-engineerd building
Max. Practical Width: 100m
The most economical width: 10m-30m
Max. Practical Width: 50m
The most economical width: <15m
Max. Practical Width: 120m
The most economical width: 26m-50m
Max. Practical Width: 180m
The most economical width: 36m-72m
Roof system released joint
Max. Practical Width: 50m
The most economical width: <20m
Roof system fixed joint
Max. Practical Width: 80m
The most economical width: <30m
Max. Practical Width: 160m
The most economical width: 30m-60m
Max. Practical Width: 100m
The most economical width: <30m
Above are typical types of pre-engineered building frames referenced under certain conditions. Therefore, in order to have a price that is appropriate to the actual conditions and the size of the needs of the business, you need to contact service provider directly to get the most accurate pricing that suits you and your enterprise.
Aesthetics and trends of Pre-engineered building
Today, pre-engineered building is designed in harmony with traditional building when many architects have experimented and have a completely different view. And they were able to put pre-engineered building in a new breath-taking style of modern architecture that fits modern lifestyle.
Besides the outstanding features such as low cost, fast construction time and high durability, the pre-engineered building also contributes to the elegance and beauty of a house or office building thanks to the good coordination between the lines of modern architecture with high-tech color, the layout of interior decoration eye-catching with steel frame and glass construction. Beautifully designed, spacious and comfortable spaces are changing “easy, available, inexpensive ” of pre-engineered building into “convenient, comfortable, economical “.
In recent years, pre-engineered building have been developed and applied to civil works such as steel structure on top of Vietcombank building, golf course on PVGas Tower , office building and exhibition center of Malloca (7 floors), Dong Khoi Palace in Ben Tre, Aeon-mall, Maximark supermarket in Can Tho. Certainly, this will also be a new building trend to be widely applied in the future.
Softwares support design and estimate Pre-engineered building
Modern society has made tremendous changes in technology, which greatly contributes to changing the face of many industries. The application software for accounting, construction, electronics – computing, health, art … continuously develop. In the field of construction in general and construction of pre-engineered building in particular, there are also many applications software is popular in the industry.